Fsu Admissions Essay 2012
Florida State University also operates the John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art, the State Art Museum of Florida and one of the largest museum/university complexes in the nation. News & World Report ranked Florida State as the 26th best public university in the United States in the national university category.
The university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). Florida State University is one of Florida's three state-designated "preeminent universities." FSU's intercollegiate sports teams, commonly known by their "Florida State Seminoles" nickname, compete in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I and the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).
By 1933 the Florida State College for Women had grown to be the third largest women's college in the United States and was the first state women's college in the South to be awarded a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, as well as the first university in Florida so honored. The FSU West Campus land and barracks plus other areas continually used as an airport later became the location of the Tallahassee Community College.
The post-war years brought substantial growth and development to the university as many departments and colleges were added including Business, Journalism (discontinued in 1959), Library Science, Nursing and Social Welfare.
That year the student body numbered 252 men and women, and degrees were available in classical, literary and scientific studies. The 1905 Florida Legislature passed the Buckman Act, which reorganized the Florida college system into a school for white males (University of the State of Florida), a school for white females (Florida Female College later changed to Florida State College for Women), and a school for African Americans (State Normal and Industrial College for Colored Students).
However, the West Florida Seminary, as it was still generally called, continued to expand and thrive.
It shifted its focus towards modern-style post-secondary education, awarding "Licentiates of Instruction", its first diplomas, in 1884, In 1901 it became Florida State College, a four-year institution organized in four departments: the College, the School for Teachers, the School of Music, and the College Academy.
During the Civil War, the seminary became The Florida Military and Collegiate Institute.
Enrollment at the school increased to around 250 students with the school establishing itself as perhaps the largest and most respected educational institution in the state.