Family Law Case Studies Canada

Support Person If you do not have a lawyer, you may find it helpful to bring a trusted friend or family member with you to provide emotional support, take notes, and organize documents during a family court hearing or trial.The Provincial Court has adopted Support Person Guidelines that explain when you are permitted to have a support person help you, and what they can do.However, only a judge appointed by the federal government can make orders about divorce and division of a family’s property, so the Supreme Court of BC has “exclusive jurisdiction” in those matters.

Before there is a hearing on any family application, the parties may attend a family case conference in which they sit around a table with a judge in a conference room to discuss their parenting plan, determine whether they can settle the dispute, and identify any issues that require a full hearing.

See Resources for Family Cases for information and resources on Provincial Court family matters.

Two Trial Courts People seeking court orders for guardianship of children, parenting arrangements, and child and spousal maintenance under the Family Law Act may go to either the Provincial Court or the Supreme Court of British Columbia, since the courts have “concurrent jurisdiction” in those matters.

One of the best ways to avoid making mistakes in your divorce or separation is to speak to a family lawyer, Contact John Schuman using the form below.

If you found this page helpful, please share it with on your social network using the buttons at the bottom of the page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

One thought on “Family Law Case Studies Canada”